More Countries Move to Ban Social Media for Under-15s
More countries are moving to restrict children’s access to social media. The latest country preparing to fast-track a nationwide ban for users under the age of 15 is France.
French President Emmanuel Macron said the government wants the ban in place before the start of the next school year in September.
“The brains of our children and adolescents are not for sale,” Macron said in a video released Saturday by CNN’s French affiliate BFMTV. “Their emotions are not for sale or to be manipulated, whether by American platforms or Chinese algorithms.”
Macron also confirmed plans to ban mobile phones in French high schools. He said the measures are “a clear rule” for families, teachers, and students.
The proposed ban will be enforced through strict age verification under the European Digital Services Act. Lawmaker Laure Miller said current safeguards are ineffective.
“Right now, there is no age verification whatsoever,” Miller said. “You can enter any date of birth and access the platform.”
France follows Australia, which banned social media for under-16s last year. British authorities are also considering similar restrictions.


Facebook Comments