Trump Moves to Pardon Convicted Ex-Honduran President
President Donald Trump says he will grant a full pardon to former Honduran president Juan Orlando Hernández. Hernández is serving a 45-year sentence in a United States federal prison for drug-trafficking offences.
Trump made the announcement on his social media platform. He wrote, “I will be granting a Full and Complete Pardon to Former President Juan Orlando Hernandez who has been, according to many people that I greatly respect, treated very harshly and unfairly.”
Hernández led Honduras from 2014 until 2022. Prosecutors said he conspired with drug cartels that moved more than 400 tons of cocaine toward the United States. They said he accepted millions in bribes and used his power to protect traffickers aligned with him.
Trump also endorsed conservative candidate Nasry “Tito” Asfura. He said the United States would support Honduras only if Asfura wins the election on Sunday.
However, the announcement comes as Trump intensifies his stance on drug-related activities in the region, which includes Venezuela. Reports in the New York Times say Trump spoke with Nicolás Maduro last week and discussed the possibility of a future meeting in the United States.
The call took place despite ongoing public hostility. Trump continues to label Maduro an illegitimate leader who operates a drug trafficking network known as the Cartel de los Soles.
Caracas denies the claim.
Since early September, the United States has been bombing suspected drug boats linked to Venezuela and other Latin American states.
According to The New York Times, no plans or date have been set yet for the meeting between Trump and Maduro.


Facebook Comments